Simple Steps To Relieve Computer Eye Strain
Many of us have jobs that require up to eight hours a day in front of a screen—and we usually accrue more screen time when we get home!
Such a significant portion of our day spent hunched over a keyboard can take a toll on our body and our vision. In fact, Computer Vision Syndrome can cause headaches, dry eyes, blurred vision, and shoulder or neck pain.
Computer Ergonomics Can Relieve Computer Eye Strain
Computer ergonomics is the science of designing a work environment to maximize efficiency and reduce the risk of injuries. Here are a few tips to reduce eye strain and other computer-associated issues.
- Sit with your head and neck upright and aligned with your torso.
- Always face your screen directly. Avoid having your back twisted or viewing your screen with your head turned.
- If you wear glasses, position yourself so you comfortably view your entire screen without tilting your head.
- Keep your mouse close to your keyboard so you aren’t constantly reaching for it.
- Try to get your computer screen so the top of the screen is at or below eye level. This will reduce the strain on your neck.
- Make sure your screen is the right distance from your face. It should be about an arms’s length away.
Give Your Eyes A Break
Tired eyes can lead to headaches, fatigue and decreased productivity. Remember:
- The 20/20/20 rule. Every 20 minutes, focus on something 20 feet away for 20 seconds. This gives your eyes a chance to rest and refocus.
- Mini breaks. Take 15-minute breaks from your computer screen twice a day. Stand up, stretch, and walk around.
- Simple eye exercises. A few times a day, stretch your extra ocular eye socket muscles by rolling your eyes in all directions.
Try these tips to keep your eyes happier at work.
[iframe https://www.youtube.com/embed/vT1N1Pwc50w?rel=0 620 349]
If you think you may be experiencing Computer Vision Syndrome, call and make an appointment today. Your health and vision are important to us. We do everything we can to make working with your computer comfortable for your vision!